FIT FOR ALL WEEK GUIDE FOR PARTICIPATING LEISURE CENTRES AND FITNESS PROFESSIONALS
The national Fit For All week is aimed at increasing awareness among people with disabilities, their families/carers and disability services on the benefits of regular exercise, healthy lifestyles and opportunities to participate within the local community. Fit For All also aims to increase awareness and build the capacity of leisure & fitness professionals in providing accessible programmes and facilities within their local community.
We are inviting leisure centres, fitness facilities both public and private, community halls, professional trainers etc. across Ireland to open up their centres and invite individuals with disabilities to participate within their programmes.
Leisure centres and fitness professionals interested in participating in the FitForAll week are encouraged to register their centre details at www.caracentre.ie/events/fit-for-all Participating centres can review their current programmes with a view of promoting activities to people with disabilities or in the case where no suitable programmes exist review the possibilities of developing new activities.
In 2019 an astounding 97 leisure centres and fitness professionals participated in the National Fit For All Week.
The 2020 Fit For All week will take place from the 4th of May - 10th of May. The aim is to increase the number of centres participating in this community based initiative, increase the number of leisure centre programmes offered to people with disabilities and increase awareness among people with disabilities and disabilities services of the participation opportunities that exist within their community.
By taking part in Fit For All participating Centres and Fitness professionals will receive a certificate of participation that can be displayed in their facility, recognition and free marketing of your facility and activities during the week and on-going advice and resources to support inclusive fitness.
As part of the 2020 programme CARA are able to offer Leisure Centres and fitness professionals who participate fully in Fit For All week an equipment pack worth €500 to support the on-going inclusion of people with disabilities in their activities following the completion of Fit For All. Leisure Centres and fitness professionals must complete the following criteria to be eligible to receive an equipment pack.
What you need to do:
1. Register your Centre: Log onto our website www.caracentre.ie/events/fit-for-all and register your centre details and contact for the week. Your centre will appear on our Fit For All map.
2. Connect with your Local Sports Partnership: Your local sports partnership (LSP) and Sports Inclusion Disability officer will be provided with the necessary tools to help you promote the event locally and target local disability services and individuals. A national database for the week will be generated which will include the number of participating centres and the range of activities on offer.
3. Sign the Sport Inclusion Disability Charter: As part of the 2020 programme we are encouraging all participating centres to sign up to and commit to the Sport Inclusion Disability Charter which was launched in 2018. The Charter clearly outlines the five key areas people with disabilities are asking all organisations to consider in making active and healthy lifestyles possible for them which include; Openness, People, Activities, Facilities & Promotion. Log on to our website https://caracentre.ie/sport-inclusion-disability-charter/ and register your centre details. On-going support & resources will be provided to centres who sign the charter.
4. Promote Your Local Sports Partnership will receive an information pack that will contain flyers and promotional material for each of their registered leisure centre/fitness facilities and fitness professionals in their county. Your local contact will ensure you receive these.
5. Deliver: Participating centres can review their current programmes with a view of promoting activities to people with disabilities or in the case where no suitable programmes exist review the possibilities of developing new activities.
6. Feedback: Participating centres are expected to provide feedback to Cara using the template provided on their experiences of participating in Fit For All 2020.
The National Fit For All week will be promoted nationally in conjunction with Sport Ireland and Ireland Active.
For more information please contact Odhrán Doherty, National Sport Inclusion Coordinator, Cara.
Tel: 01-6251143 or 086-0212325